One of the questions I’m most frequently asked is what supplements I take and what I give to the kids. So after doing a major haul yesterday at Ambrosia, my personal Mecca and the store I frequently take second mortgages out to feed my addiction to, I thought I’d share with you what we take to stay healthy.
*Note – I have zero expertise in regards to any of this. I just do what works for us. As always, consult your doctor or health professional before starting a new supplement.*
Clockwise from top left:
- Genuine Health Advanced Gut Health Probiotic – I take this daily (before breakfast) to support the microbiome in my bowel. I’ve alluded to my bowel issues before on the blog, and without getting into too many details, I can certifiably say that a daily probiotic has helped me keep my gut health in check. Probiotics help with immune support, allow you absorb nutrients better and also alleviate a lot of IBS symptoms. There’s also a gut and brain connection, which suggests that a healthy gut helps to keep you mentally healthy as well. So taking a daily probiotic is really a no-brainer. I like this this particular brand because it’s vegan, and comes in a shelf-stable blister pack, so you don’t need to refrigerate, which makes it ideal on the go.
- Genuine Health Fermented Vegan Proteins – I put this in my smoothies because of the fermentation, which makes me less bloated. Both the chocolate and vanilla flavors are amazing, and it’s a Toronto-based company, which I love.
- Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen – As many of you know (particularly if you watch my stories about little baggies of it making me look like a cokehead in public), I take collagen daily. I put a scoop of it in my coffee, and this brand dissolves beautifully with zero taste. It’s pricey, but honestly, a life changer. I’ve been taking it for about 6 months or so, and lately people have been telling me I look like I’m aging backwards. I give full credit to this collagen for being my fountain of youth. Take it. Your skin, hair, nails and gut will thank you.
- Floradix Kindervital – Don’t let the weird German name turn you off. This multivitamin for the kids is amazing. I like it because it’s liquid, which means easier absorption, and also that it has calcium and vitamin D in it, because my children don’t really drink much milk, and it’s easier than taking an additional calcium supplement.
- Natural Factors Kids Multiprobiotic – This is the powder my kids get in their morning beverage. It dissolves nicely, and I like knowing they’re getting their gut and immune support too. During the school year, my daughter also gets HMF Fit for School, which is pricey, but a really solid probiotic to ensure she’s warding off the myriad of diseases her classmates carry.
So there you have it; some of our essentials. I hope you found this post informative! XO